Adventures Under Ground

I bet that you didn't realize that the original name of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" before publishing the major work was.....you guessed it: "Alice's Adventures Under Ground."  I feel so smart.


The following is from an email from Hottie, who is already in Korea waiting for me and our family of puppies.  Before we begin, I am including a legend/glossary for those "civilian" readers out there:

*Joe - Nickname for any Army enlisted soldier.  Comes from "G.I. Joe."
*Yongsan - One of the larger U.S. Army Garrisons in the country in the south-central part of Seoul.
*Itaewon - the largely international part of Seoul just outside the gates of U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan.
*SNU - Seoul National University. Considered to be the "Harvard" of Korea.



January 10, 2011. 1:48am CST/4:48pm Korean Time


"So yesterday was quite an adventure...


I took at cab to the metro station.  The taxi driver let me out and I walked down into what I thought was the subway...I mean, why wouldn't the subway be underground?  There seemed to be quite a few people walking down a stairway that looked identical to all the other subway systems that I've ever been in.   Well, as you can imagine...NOT the subway.  I wandered into an endless maze of an underground shopping mall.  Every store looked the same and I was soon very lost in a place where no one spoke english, and nothing was posted in english.  I spent about 15 minutes trying to make heads and tails of it until I swallowed my pride and asked someone.  They didnt speak english.  I tried to motion subway with my hand.  The gentlemen seemed to know what I was talking about to showed me how to get out of the shopping maze.  I walked upstairs out onto the street.  I had no idea where I was or where my starting point was.  I saw two Joes who directed me across the street to the station.  As it turns out, I didnt see the ABOVE GROUND subway station in the distance instead of the stairwell to the UNDERGROUND shopping center.  ?????
 Seoul Subway
COEX Underground Shopping Mall
The more ghetto-fied underground mall more like what Hottie saw.


The further out from Seoul that you get, the less and less people speak English.  I tried asking some Soldiers about directions to Itaewon, but a helpful Korean girl that spoke pretty good English intervened to help.  She was much more helpful.  I asked her about good places to live and she didnt really have an answer.  I told her about you going to school at SNU and it turns out that she was a student there working on her masters degree in Statistics.


I walked around Itaewon a little while and had lunch at a Korean restaraunt that didnt speak much english.  Had Bulgogi stew.  It rocks!"
Awesome bulgogi stew

And that, my friends, is how I discovered -- to the great discomfort and even greater fault of my husband -- the wonder of underground shopping. Yay!

Picture of excited and almost somewhat evil laugh.
Wha-hahahaha!!!

Comments

Popular Posts